My Granny

My Granny, if you've read archives, is 94. My sister has renovated my granny's home so that she can be at home with a wheelchair and have care and be in her own bed... which is where she wants to die.
I'm all for that, except that my sister has given up her life to do this... but.. that is her choice.

Anyways... she had a hole in her velvet Crown Royal bag and her marbles have been scattered across the driveway for many moons now and she is deteriorating fast... So I get to make the trek to Ottawa tomorrow night on the redeye ( bring on the coffee!) and spend a couple of days and have Christmas with my sister and Granny.

My granny has had an amazing life... she has seen the world before it was the craziness it is now. She has ridden an elephant in India, a camel in Egypt.. she taught until she was 75, had her driver's licence until she was 85 (more on that later) and at 94, has convinced the world that she deserves to die at home. Granted, she does. But Granny, you're out of wishes. This is so hard on everyone, and really, as much as she was the cool granny, she did nothing to help our family when we were growing up, she hindered because she doesn't understand manic depression or alcoholism, despite her husband being both. And she divorced him! Ah well, the choice to give up her life was my sister's.. I can only love and support at a distance...

Granny is very prejudiced. She had to have a check up for her cataract surgery at the Ottawa General many years ago.. she got to the hospital and was confused as to where to park and drove under the ambulance area. A coloured security guard came out and was pointing her where to park... she got so flustered about a man of colour telling her where to go, she turned the car around, got onto Riverside Drive and ended up in Montreal. (2 hr drive ladies and gentlemen) The QPP called my dad and asked him to come get her which was a 5 hr drive from our house to Montreal... he was NOT pleased. They took her licence away after that.

I talked to Devin again tonight... was very weird. He's all concerned about me going to Ottawa and calling me this week and me keeping him informed about what is going on... damnit, I'm confused.