A is for Alzheimer's

My granny, whom I have posted about several times in the past, suffered from Alzheimer's. Even in her deluded state she was still an amazing woman with a wicked sense of humour and an insatiable desire for ice cream.

Her artwork, as seen here, was her life. She loved crafting with us as children and then with my daughter and niece. She did incredible pieces, some of which were housed at 24 S u s s e x as well as the N ational A rt G allery after being commissioned by some higher ups.






Her job until she retired was writing army contracts for the federal government and she taught rug h o o k i n g at nights. When she retired from the federal gov't, she taught night classes until she was well into her 80s and she even managed to get her driver's licence every year after 80 until we finally took it away when she got lost and ended up in Montreal and my father had to drive 5 hours to rescue her from the QPP.

When Alzheimer's started to ravage her body and mind, she knew it wasn't right or Ok and she at times seemed at peace with it, and others seemed to be genuinely afraid of it. She may not have known who we were as the end drew near, but even with that, she still blew kisses and her heart sent out love to whomever was near...all of which was genuine.

The last thing I said to her was the day I left when she returned from the hospital after her forgetting her keys was "Bye bye my sweet Granny, I'll see you in my dreams." and I am grateful that I got to say goodbye, albeit several months before she was gone, and at least she knew it.